Philosophy of the Tent:

The best decorating and design takes inspiration from what was once done before. Whether it is in architecture, antiques, art, it all stems from a mix of inspiration and knowledge. I believe it is a duty to pass on and share the knowledge, and by no means do I think I have great knowledge, in fact the more I know the less I know.
This blog is a way not to forget what I have learned and what was kindly passed onto to me by a great many fascinating people. I thank you all.


Friday 11 February 2011

Too many cooks in the kitchen

I really only like two varieties of kitchens, ultra modern, usually Italian, or simplistic Shaker that I have drawn up - by hand, none of this CAD business - for the client's particular needs and wants.  Seven years ago I installed a kitchen of white high gloss flat fronted cabinets offset with the palest olive green walls.  The worktop of Carrara marble horrified the builder who advised granite was far more practical.  Indeed it is but I hate granite with a passion and I replied that I was looking for a stone that would age in the same way as it would at a butchers shop or fromagerie. In the end we sealed it as a compromise.  It was a huge success with a few contemporary art pieces even though the house and its architectural details were late Victorian.  Due to budget constraints I used charcoal coloured marmoleum for the floor which is not only warmer underfoot but easy maintenance and kinder to breakages!
Below is an image from Architonic of a 1988 design by Antonio Citterio for Arclinea, still so relevant today.
Would make life so easy and beautiful with the Kohler Karbon tap below
And finally two of my favourite stones - sealed of course!
Jura Blue
Black Moroccan Fossil



No comments:

Post a Comment