Philosophy of the Tent:

The best decorating and design takes inspiration from what was once done before. Whether it is in architecture, antiques, art, it all stems from a mix of inspiration and knowledge. I believe it is a duty to pass on and share the knowledge, and by no means do I think I have great knowledge, in fact the more I know the less I know.
This blog is a way not to forget what I have learned and what was kindly passed onto to me by a great many fascinating people. I thank you all.


Sunday 20 February 2011

Louvers Louvres

I am fanatical about shutters, louvered shutters to be exact or plantation as our American friends call them. To my mind they are the most practical type of window treatment, they filter the light beautifully and the louvers easily adjust the amount of air coming into the room. They buffer noise and act as a sort of secondary glazing and make me feel like I live in the Caribbean all year round.  A combination of shutters and curtains is ideal although most of the time I could do away with curtains altogether - except for palaces and historic houses of course! 
I do not like skimping on shutters, in the same way well made curtains or draperies are expensive to produce, I will only have shutters of basswood or tulipwood and always custom painted.  I have also seen them faux leather clad and I am still unsure if they are elegant or the height of common.  I particularly love The New England Shutter Company TNESC as theirs is the most complete and innovative range and as a bonus they are produced locally.
TNESC recently collaborated with Rupert Bevan to produce an incredible range of metallic and gesso finish shutters, they could be fabulous I am sure, I just need to get my head round them!

No comments:

Post a Comment