Philosophy of the Tent:

The best decorating and design takes inspiration from what was once done before. Whether it is in architecture, antiques, art, it all stems from a mix of inspiration and knowledge. I believe it is a duty to pass on and share the knowledge, and by no means do I think I have great knowledge, in fact the more I know the less I know.
This blog is a way not to forget what I have learned and what was kindly passed onto to me by a great many fascinating people. I thank you all.


Wednesday 9 February 2011

Gaufrage

Image from Chairs by Florence de Dampierre
"Unusual 19th C upholstered armchair, formerly in the house of Christian Dior, Paris.  Bill Blass Collection"

Gaufraged velvet lends itself to all kinds of upholstered pieces and can often round a scheme together.  Different piles are used according to different designs, I particularly like using (indestructible) mohair velvet, but have also used flatter weaves that work well for walling for example. Gaufraged fabrics also sit very well in modern interior schemes. Below are some designs from the Lelievre book of graufrage steering us away from their usual classics.

Les Bulles #9344

Renouveau # 9433


More gaufraged velvet on this Art Deco bench at 1st dibs





No comments:

Post a Comment