Philosophy of the Tent:

The best decorating and design takes inspiration from what was once done before. Whether it is in architecture, antiques, art, it all stems from a mix of inspiration and knowledge. I believe it is a duty to pass on and share the knowledge, and by no means do I think I have great knowledge, in fact the more I know the less I know.
This blog is a way not to forget what I have learned and what was kindly passed onto to me by a great many fascinating people. I thank you all.


Tuesday 1 February 2011

The Yellow Room


from The World of Interiors December 2010 issue
photograph by Simon Upton

1st things 1st and because I spent so many years there the inimitable Yellow Room at the Brook Street shop of the Colefax & Fowler firm or Sibyl Colefax and John Fowler Ltd for the purists.  It is by far one of the most serene rooms I have ever been in, at once grand, relaxed and warm and filled with treasures from the antiques department.  The double doors at the back -a replica of the doors at the front- are in fact the way to the miniature ‘Yellow Room’ kitchen complete with dumb waiter.  It is no more than 3’ or 4’ wide with the same ceiling height as the Yellow Room itself.  This is where the staff make tea and coffee, escape the odd demanding client or hide!
Sibyl Colefax and John Fowler

No comments:

Post a Comment