Philosophy of the Tent:

The best decorating and design takes inspiration from what was once done before. Whether it is in architecture, antiques, art, it all stems from a mix of inspiration and knowledge. I believe it is a duty to pass on and share the knowledge, and by no means do I think I have great knowledge, in fact the more I know the less I know.
This blog is a way not to forget what I have learned and what was kindly passed onto to me by a great many fascinating people. I thank you all.


Thursday 10 February 2011

Classic Chairs and Other Must Have Seats


Another favourite mid 20th Century chair, the 1958 moulded plywood Cherner Chair was reissued a few years ago to exacting standards by Norman Cherner’s  sons, Benjamin and Thomas. I was tickled to see it featured in the animated film Toy Story 3.





A thebes stool is another favourite, the image above is from Chairs by Florence de Dampierre of an Egyptian stool from the British Museum.  In particular I enjoy Arts & Crafts Thebes stools like the ones produced by Liberty & Co for example. Below is an image of a past lot from Christies.



The pair of Gustavian 'Klismos style' chairs below are also from Florence de Dampierre's book and I love their simplicity.  Client's often dismiss checks as being confined to kitchen schemes and I have to argue the case that not only does it work but it is the height of understated chic.  This picture should be enough of a counter argument for next time.

Late Gustavian Swedish chairs by Ephraim Stahl



No comments:

Post a Comment