Philosophy of the Tent:

The best decorating and design takes inspiration from what was once done before. Whether it is in architecture, antiques, art, it all stems from a mix of inspiration and knowledge. I believe it is a duty to pass on and share the knowledge, and by no means do I think I have great knowledge, in fact the more I know the less I know.
This blog is a way not to forget what I have learned and what was kindly passed onto to me by a great many fascinating people. I thank you all.


Sunday 13 March 2011

Snob: Acronym of sans noblesse, of the Latin sine nobilis, without a title or not from the nobility but one who apes to be

A Kufic Qur'an Folio at Christie's

Still incensed by A.A. Gill’s nasty article about Dubai for snooty Vanity Fair.  I am the first to believe in criticism of oneself, of a nation, self-deprecating humour and I love generalisations of a people, mine and others, they make me laugh, but quite frankly this was just offensive.  It might easily have been a humour filled piece but for the author’s bitterness and total lack of respect for others.  I have learned nothing reading this article.  An accomplished writer he certainly is but the bitterness of the content permeates through to leave a nasty, sour taste and who needs that?  Dubai is as dazzling or deficient as London, Paris, or New York, having lived in two and visited another often I would rather be here a million times over than looking out over my shoulder for the local asbo, drug addict or loony.  Gill knows and understands nothing of the culture of the region let alone the UAE and so I conclude the article is not about Dubai it is about Arab bashing.
I hope he is banned from here, and that is one of the many reasons I choose and love to live in Dubai

No comments:

Post a Comment