Philosophy of the Tent:

The best decorating and design takes inspiration from what was once done before. Whether it is in architecture, antiques, art, it all stems from a mix of inspiration and knowledge. I believe it is a duty to pass on and share the knowledge, and by no means do I think I have great knowledge, in fact the more I know the less I know.
This blog is a way not to forget what I have learned and what was kindly passed onto to me by a great many fascinating people. I thank you all.


Tuesday 14 June 2011

Stateside Decorating

Sadly in Europe we do not concern ourselves much with American decorators, at least not enough and not with the more contemporary ones.  Of course we all salute the likes of Albert Hadley, Billy Baldwin, Mark Hampton, Mario Buatta, to name but a very few, for their eminence in decorating history and legacy they have or will leave behind.
There are in the US today some young designers creating very exciting interiors.  As a foreigner I have probably only come across a few - my American readers, who of course top the list of Tents and Camels viewers, can correct and add to if they so wish! 
We have much to learn from the US in the way the decorating trade is regarded and defended.  I have always found that, in Europe at least, our profession is often not viewed as the professional occupation that it is over there.  Here are favourite images of a selection of US decorators of the moment. 
 
Thom Filica courtesy of Elle Decor
Jonathan Adler courtesy of Elle Decor
Matthew Patrick Smyth courtesy of Elle Decor
Carrier and Co

No comments:

Post a Comment