Philosophy of the Tent:

The best decorating and design takes inspiration from what was once done before. Whether it is in architecture, antiques, art, it all stems from a mix of inspiration and knowledge. I believe it is a duty to pass on and share the knowledge, and by no means do I think I have great knowledge, in fact the more I know the less I know.
This blog is a way not to forget what I have learned and what was kindly passed onto to me by a great many fascinating people. I thank you all.


Friday 10 June 2011

Hotel, Motel, Holiday Inn

Large luxury hotels, as opposed to small and quaint boutique or country house hotels, are pretty hard to pull off in the style stakes.  They somehow always seem to age badly and end up being a slightly better version of a Holiday Inn within just a few years.  They can fall into the over glitzy category, over beige, over coloured and over everything.  I recently watched a fascinating French documentary about the Park Hyatt in Shanghai.  The film was not so much about the decoration but more about the unique service and attention to detail and 'l'art de recevoir', loosely translated as the art of  receiving guests.  It is something most of us take for granted when in fact it is a very subtle and skilled art requiring many years of experience often if not always starting at the bottom.  I have enormous respect for those in hospitality who perform with finesse, largesse, without effort as if it is second nature to enhance someone elses journey.  There is so much bad service today we make do with what should be cast as unacceptable.

Back to design and decoration and in my opinion the Park Hyatt pulls it off, it is very beautiful indeed


Park Hyatt Shanghai Lobby
The Spa pool
Park Hyatt Shanghai bathroom
Park Hyatt Bedroom

Imperial Suite Park Hyatt Vendome
I understand the Park Hyatt Shanghai was designed by New York based Tony Chi whereas the Imperial suite in Paris was designed, along with the rest of the hotel a few years ago, by US architect and interior designer Edward Tuttle.

No comments:

Post a Comment