Philosophy of the Tent:

The best decorating and design takes inspiration from what was once done before. Whether it is in architecture, antiques, art, it all stems from a mix of inspiration and knowledge. I believe it is a duty to pass on and share the knowledge, and by no means do I think I have great knowledge, in fact the more I know the less I know.
This blog is a way not to forget what I have learned and what was kindly passed onto to me by a great many fascinating people. I thank you all.


Wednesday 13 April 2011

The King's Baths


At long last I get part of my monthly fix of deco magazines, by this time of the month I am more than a little impatient with the assistant at the newsagents. World of Interiors May issue is finally here, they tend to be first, House & Garden are usually slower and the US mags are hit and miss.  Most infuriating is missing a copy altogether, as I did last month, must start tiping the vendor.

Note the aubergine duchess satin covered slipper chairs, that's my kinda bling
This is another great piece by Marie-France Boyer for WOI featuring King George VI's bathrooms at the Quai d'Orsay. One each for the King and Elizabeth, Queen Consort, were specially built for their official visit to France in 1938.  It is so a propos for Dubai, high glitz and glamour, wonderful kind of glitz not Lipstick Glitz as I like to call it.  Of course it has probably aged very well in all the right places and yet is not dated, the true measure of good design and decoration.  

Gold for the King
 I particularly like the part of the article about the gifts, what sumptious gifts, Saint-Louis, Lalique, and works by Dufy, Utrillo, Vuillard, not forgetting the young princesses of course:  “For the princesses Elizabeth and Margaret, who had remained in England, two dolls were made, complete with outfits designed by Lanvin, Rochas, Worth, Cartier, Hermes and Vuitton”.   
Silver for the Queen


It is also an essential visit, the bathrooms are open to the public once a year as part of European Heritage Days, www.journeesdupatrimoine.culture.fr

More images at art-decoration

The last official bath was taken in 1973 by the then future king of Spain, Juan Carlos

No comments:

Post a Comment