Philosophy of the Tent:

The best decorating and design takes inspiration from what was once done before. Whether it is in architecture, antiques, art, it all stems from a mix of inspiration and knowledge. I believe it is a duty to pass on and share the knowledge, and by no means do I think I have great knowledge, in fact the more I know the less I know.
This blog is a way not to forget what I have learned and what was kindly passed onto to me by a great many fascinating people. I thank you all.


Saturday 16 April 2011

Favourite Fortuny


Persepolis
Maori
I cannot point to my ultimate favourite cloth, there are too many and it would be unfair to discriminate between prints and weaves from Le Manach, document toiles by Bracquenie, Lelievre’s Mogador velvet, Tassinari and Chatel’s museum quality cut silk velvets, a classic chintz from Colefax such as Bowood, most of Donghia weaves, John Boyd horsehair, George Spencer’s trimmings and papers, Simon Playle's treasures and absolutely anything and everything out of the Claremont shop.
There is however one thing that always completes my schemes perfectly, Fortuny fabrics. 

Sevres

Tapa without stripe

Canastrelli
 Of course I could drape the walls and myself in it I love it that much but at over 700 $ a yard that isn’t always possible.  It is probably the sturdiest cloth ever, it may come across as relatively fragile much like printed linen but for some unknown, and secret, reason it outlasts many heavier weaves even some velvets. Do not be afraid to cover a chair in it, a metre will do for the back and seat of a small Bergere, it will, I promise last for years and there is nothing quite like the beauty and splendour of these cloths and their superb colouring.

Baberini

No comments:

Post a Comment