Philosophy of the Tent:

The best decorating and design takes inspiration from what was once done before. Whether it is in architecture, antiques, art, it all stems from a mix of inspiration and knowledge. I believe it is a duty to pass on and share the knowledge, and by no means do I think I have great knowledge, in fact the more I know the less I know.
This blog is a way not to forget what I have learned and what was kindly passed onto to me by a great many fascinating people. I thank you all.


Friday 14 December 2012

Swedish Deco Rugs

I was first introduced to Swedish Deco rugs by a client, several years ago, who had the most wonderful collection of mid century furniture.  Knoll, Platner, Cherner, and more where all there ready for me to assemble a scheme, how easy is that?  Too easy perhaps.
And to pull it all together and anchor the room we needed a rug of course.  Her wish was for a Barbro Nilsson, (1899-1983), the celebrated Swedish weaver of rugs and tapestries.  These rugs, apart from their charming designs, have a distinctive relief and texture which sit so well within the interiors of the moment mixing mid century with older pieces and modern elements.  

As important as Barbro Nilsson are the works of Märta Måås-Fjetterström, (1873-1941) which in fact I favour myself for their more Art Nouveau/Art and Crafts feel.

Salerno Blue Rug, Barbro Nilsson at 1st Dibs
Blåringen ["Blue Ring"]
Märta Måås-Fjetterström in 1931 from http://www.mmf.se

Swedish Deco rug from Mansour

Swedish Kilim from Mansour

How wonderful is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment