Philosophy of the Tent:

The best decorating and design takes inspiration from what was once done before. Whether it is in architecture, antiques, art, it all stems from a mix of inspiration and knowledge. I believe it is a duty to pass on and share the knowledge, and by no means do I think I have great knowledge, in fact the more I know the less I know.
This blog is a way not to forget what I have learned and what was kindly passed onto to me by a great many fascinating people. I thank you all.


Friday 27 January 2012

Billy Baldwin & Mogador

Still very much in the Manganese and purple phase.  Perhaps because I am finishing a project with lots of purple I want different shades of it everywhere from plum to purpley brown and reddy brown.  Now, there are fabrics I consider the Mozart and Debussy of materials and Mogador from Lelievre is definitely one of them.  It is probably 50 or 60 years old if not more, it used to be called Velour Gascogne and notoriously unreliable in dye lots and yet that never deterred anyone to use it.  It is now very reliable and rarely is a scheme complete without this treasure of a velvet, here it is in the Henne colourway which will soon cover another classic: the Billy Baldwin slipper chair.  A favourite of this Iconic american decorator, often immitated by other decorators, with varying degrees of success.  
I have a near perfect one I treasure and use as a template for clients.
   
Mogador Henne
Billy Baldwin and his slipper chair, image from House Beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment